On OSX Google provide the very excellent App Engine launcher for your Python projects, but not on Ubuntu or other linux distros. OK you might use Eclipse but thats for your Java projects.
If you'd like similar funntionality on Ubuntu or other Linux flavour, these instructions basically from here worked well for me.
1. Switch to home directory
- cd ~/
2. Install a dependency
- sudo apt-get install python-wxversion python-wxglade
3. get the launcher. NB this text may get wrapped
- svn checkout http://google-appengine-wx-launcher.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ google-appengine-launcher
4. switch to the App Engine launcher directory
- cd google-appengine-launcher
5. Run the launcher
Clicking on 'Edit' launches your preferred text editor which for me is gEdit, more of which later.
Of course on OSX TextMate is shear brilliance.